Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Today's books

Books read today:
A Victim Must be Found, a Benny Cooperman mystery by Howard Engel (just a few pages).

I read this book a long time ago just after living in the USA for a while as a student. I started encountering Jewish things. Of course I done this all my life through the Bible and social studies class at school, and a friend had married a Jewish girl, and my mother worried about serving non-kosher food. But she wasn't observant, as few of my Jewish friends are. However, a Jewish girlfriend in the USA convinced me to adopt some aspects of kosher living -- including avoiding pork and ham.

The relevance to the book is that the protaganist is a Jewish private-eye.


I'm also re-reading part of "The Worldy Philosophers" (Revised Edition) by Robert Heilbroner, which I bought used somewhere for $1 (US or Canadian, not sure). I now know there were several other editions, the final of which provides more references. However, right now, I'm considering getting The Economic Consequences of the Peace by John Maynard Keynes. Its principal assertions seems quite in line with the account I read in Churchill's history of WW2 that I browsed for a while at the San Franciso Public Library while waiting for a plane. I'd actually prefer that book but it's enormous. Maybe somebody has published a multi-volume edition.

Also Heilbroner has a noticeably incomplete account of Keynes' personal life, but what can I expect of a book from that era (1st ed 1943, Rev ed 1961).

No comments: